Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Changing the World One Sticky Note at a Time

I got to campus just minutes before my class started. I squeezed into the only open parking spot in sight and rushed to my last class of the day. After class I came to my car to find a receipt under my windshield wiper. It was a note... not a very kind note to say the least. It even included a few choice words that are not to be repeated on or around the BYU campus. Apparently some dear soul was having a rough day and was not very happy with the tight parking conundrum we were in.
Little did she know, the 30 seconds she took to angrily scribble me a hate note broke my heart. I'm not sure what exactly it was about the 20 words scribbled on the back of a Macy's receipt that tugged at my emotions so strongly, but I was absolutely crushed. I had been having a pretty good day up to that point, but as soon as I read those words my heart sank and well, I just wanted to cry.
Isn't it crazy how powerful our words our? Do we even realize how powerful our words are?
As Jeffrey R. Holland puts it, 
"Like all gifts “which cometh from above,” words are “sacred, and must be spoken with care, and by constraint of the Spirit.” 
My initial emotions were a little intense and I was feeling like this person was the worst human ever. That's usually not a good sign  of the emotional state that you're in so I said a prayer and apologized for parking too closely to this woman who apparently wasn't having a very good day either. Then I asked Heavenly Father to help me to forgive and to know how to lift my spirits.
The thought came to me that this one little note could have been just as powerful for good as it was for bad. I knew what I needed to do.
This morning I took my yellow sticky notes and my flower pen to school with me and decided to spread a little sunshine. I wrote random happy notes and stuck them on random cars throughout the BYU parking lot. It took me a grand total of 5 minutes and afterwards
I FELT SO HAPPY. I had the biggest smile across my face for literally the rest of the day and was in the BEST of moods. It was kind of ridiculous how happy it made me but awesome at the same time.
This simple experience reminded me of the power of:
1. Our words
2. Small and Simple acts

 Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.

Alma 37:6 

Here's my invitation to you: spread goodness in a small and simple way today. Scatter a little sunshine and see how you feel! Put away your receipts and help me change the world one sticky note at a time (or if you only have receipts to write happy notes on that's cool too).









xoxo
Kay


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are so adorable!! I miss you!!