Sunday, October 16, 2016

Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy {with a baby}

I feel like there has been a lot of emphasis on keeping the sabbath day holy in the Church recently. There's also been a lot of emphasis on this topic in our house as we've tried to figure out how to keep the sabbath day holy with a tiny baby! And honestly, it's been really hard. Going to church with a baby is a lot different than going to church without a baby. We have to plan our morning around her and her feeding schedule so she won't get hungry during sacrament meeting. Then we pray that she's good during sacrament and usually end up walking the halls with her trying to get her to sleep because it's right during her nap time. Usually by the time the first meeting is over we're heading home to feed her again. I've had a hard time pumping and I exclusively breastfeed her--which still takes about an hour each feeding-- so I don't feel very comfortable all that time in the mother's lounge. We've found ourselves disheartened many Sundays as we sit at home in our Sunday best and wonder what we're doing wrong.

Well, the past couple weeks we've been talking about this a lot and we finally realized this-- we aren't doing anything wrong. We're first time parents trying to figure things out and doing the best we can with what we have. And that's okay. A few Sundays ago as we walked the halls side by side trying to calm a fussy baby we had a conversation about what we were doing and how God felt about it. We didn't want him to be disappointed in us but as we talked we both felt the sweetest assurance that He is proud of us for doing everything in our ability at this time to observe the sabbath. We haven't missed a sacrament meeting and for that I am so grateful. Through these past few months that we've had sweet Ellie I've come to love and appreciate the sacrament so much more. I've realized just how much I truly need it. I need Christ and his atoning power to renew me each week. I yearn for the sacrament as the week comes to a close and feel so close to my Savior as I partake of the bread and water-- even if I'm taking it in the hall with a crying baby in my arms. I'm so grateful for the sacrament and for the opportunity we have each week to try a little harder to be a little better. This week our goal was to go to two hours of church. I will tell you that it wasn't easy! As I walked the halls trying to soothe a particularly tired and fussy baby I was tempted to just go home. But I remembered the commitment we made with the Lord and I knew we could do it. And guess what? We did! I was able to pump and Ellie actually took the bottle and it all worked out! Maybe next Sunday we will be able to do all three--but the important thing is that we're trying and improving.

We also came to realize that in the grand picture of the eternities this time is such a tiny moment. Someday we'll look back at this time and smile--wishing we could walk the halls with a sleeping baby just one more time. Although we may not be able to make it to the full block of church every week we can still keep the sabbath day holy by focusing on our Savior and spending time as a family. Some of our favorite Sunday activities are watching church movies (even the really cheesy ones like Mobsters and Mormons), going on walks, having family council, and just enjoying being together all day! We like to play music that invites the spirit into our home and listen to conference talks and it really feels like we are in a little piece of heaven here on Earth. Ellie likes when we sing and dance along to the music :) However, don't be mistaken, we definitely have our frozen pizza, crying baby, lets just watch a movie and take a nap moments as well!!

What I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't trade these crazy, wonderful Sundays for anything. I'm grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who listens, understands our needs, and helps us to grow and improve. I'm grateful for a sweet husband who does all he can to invite the Spirit into our home. I know that how we each observe the Sabbath might not look exactly the same, but I also know that if we have faith in our savior and real intent that he will bless us for doing our best where we're at. If any of you are in the same position as us or are feeling the same discouraging feelings, please know that your Savior loves you exactly how you are! He is so proud of you for doing your best. And so am I!! Being a parent is not easy, but it is so worth it. I know that God will bless you for the sacrifices you're making. And the last thing he wants is for you to compare yourself to others. Trust me--that only leads to frustration. I've spent way too much time doing it and I've finally come to realize how true the words of Theodore Roosevelt are:

"Comparison is the thief of Joy"

So stop comparing yourself to others. Be joyful and enjoy the sabbath as you focus on our Savior! And your family :) hold those tiny babies while you can!



2 comments:

Megan said...

I love this Kay! You ARE doing a good job

Lexie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.