Friday, October 21, 2016

Ellie's {DIY} Nursery ♡

As soon as I found out we were having a girl I went to town dreaming up the perfect nursery. I Pinterested (is that a word?) like I had never Pinterested before. Unfortunately when it came time to actually start getting things ready for the nursery I realized just how crazy expensive everything is! I spent about 5 minutes being completely devastated before I realized I was living with my mama who just so happens to be THE craftiest/most creative/best quilting/decorating person on the planet. So I was in luck :) With her help we were able to come up with a pretty cute little nursery if I do say so myself. And it cost me next to nothing! Which Ben wasn't complaining about ;) So I thought I would share the finished (for now--I don't know if it will ever really be finished--I have too many ideas!) product (and all of our secrets) with all of you and hopefully inspire some of your creative/thrifty juices to start flowing! 


My favorite part of the room ♡ and doesn't Ellie look pretty happy with it too?? :)  A wonderful friend of mine gave us her old crib (thank you SO much if you're reading this!!) and gave us the brilliant idea to spray paint it to freshen it up! It took us about 6 cans of white spray paint and was kind of a hassle haha but I'm so happy with how it turned out! And it was inexpensive! 




My amazing mom MADE Ellie's beautiful bedding! I had looked at a million and one ideas for bedding but couldn't decide. So we picked out fabric at our favorite store Mormon Handicraft (and it was discounted because my mom works there--score) and combined multiple different Pinterest ideas to create the perfect bedding! And she made it all from the crib skirt to the quilt to the sheet! Who knew you could make a sheet??


I went back and forth about what I wanted over her crib for a long time. There were too many cute ideas! This is what I finally decided on and I'm happy with how it turned out but I still have a few other ideas I might try down the road. For the sign, I bought some scrap wood from Home Depot that cost me about $3. The guy at Home Depot cut them for me and I stained them with some wood stain that was at my parents house. Then I freehanded the writing with paint we already had and we nailed it all together using old paint sticks! The garland was fun and pretty easy. I made the tassels using tissue paper (that cost $2) and strung them onto twine we already had!




My cousin (who has the cutest girls and is done having kiddos) gave us this rocking chair! The fabric was pretty old and didn't match the rest of the nursery so we found some clearance fabric at Jo-Ann and my mom once again amazed me by recovering it! It turned out so good and is now one of my favorite parts of the nursery! My sister Megan (my mom and sisters are so creative and talented!!) crocheted Ellie the adorable pink blanket! I'm in love with it (especially the polka dots--I don't even know how she did that) and it matched perfectly so it had to be on display somewhere in the nursery and the rocking chair turned out to be the perfect spot! The picture of Christ actually has a really special place in my heart. When I was interviewed to be baptized my sweet Bishop told me that I could go to Deseret Book and choose any picture of Christ that I wanted and my mom would buy it for me (luckily she worked there :) and then I had to keep it somewhere in my room where I could see it every day. This is the picture I chose and it hung in my room until I moved out of my parent's house (the first time ;) ). I love that I can pass it onto Ellie now and she can have it as a constant reminder of our Savior in her room ♡ I never even dreamed of this day when I got this picture at 8 years old!








We scored this changing table on the St. George Yard Sale page on Facebook for like $30. It was our very first (of many) furniture purchase as a couple :) Someday it will be painted white to match the crib but I'm just not ready to tackle another furniture spray paint makeover yet hahaha. My mom made the adorable storage boxes (seriously, what would I even do without her?) and the matching changing pad cover (you can kind of see it in the last picture). The frame and jar (full of binkies--those things are impossible to keep track of!) were from our wedding!


In case you were curious haha here's Ellie's closet! We already had all of the storage and most of her clothes and blankets were gifts (as well as all of the diapers in the left corner! Such a blessing!). Oh and I paid $1 at Target for the hangers :)


Ben made me the framed ultrasound picture display for my birthday! ♡ #bestbrithdaygiftEVER 
And we made the headband holder with some of the leftover wood & stain from the sign above Ellie's crib. We found the knobs at TJ MAXX for $5! (This is on the wall to the right of the changing table). 


Now comes in my mom's wonderful, selfless boss! He made the shelf for us out of more leftover wood from our other projects and he made the hanging picture display (that I'm in love with!). I printed the pictures at Costco (I think they print the best quality!) for a couple dollars. My very best friend Marissa made us the adorable "Come What May and Love it" print and it was the perfect fit for our little shelf!


 I'm in love with this room, but even more in love with the baby girl who sleeps here... sometimes :) I'm so grateful I have a bright, happy place where we can spend time together. Ben and I can't walk past the nursery without going in! I'm so grateful for our sweet friends and family members who helped us create our dream nursery. We love you & don't know what we would ever do without all of your love and support! And talents ;)

1 comment:

Megan said...

Such a sweet nursery! I love how so many parts of it have special meaning ❤️